Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > World News

Notices

Old 12-06-2007, 01:21 PM   #16
Princess Leia

Rep Power: 0 Princess Leia is a glorious beacon of light Princess Leia is a glorious beacon of light Princess Leia is a glorious beacon of light Princess Leia is a glorious beacon of light Princess Leia is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz View Post
Who thinks that either Jim Jones or the Branch Davidians were good Christians? Only then could you call these people "Religious" instead of "egomanical", "neurotic", or whatever word fits. There are many who have a lot to say about religion who are not truely religious themselves.
The above two mentioned were false prophets, claiming to be the Son of God. They were not Christians, they just knew how to take the Bible and twist it to make it what they wanted it to be. A common problem in the world today.

I don't know what was going on with the guy in Nebraska, but obviously something wasn't clicking. But just because he did a horrible thing, I am deeply saddened for his family as well as the other victims. We should remember that they just lost their child. Not only that, but knowing he killed so many innocent people. I hope and pray that I will never feel so bad and depressed that I think my life isn't valuable.
Princess Leia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #17
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 257 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
>Who thinks that either Jim Jones or the Branch Davidians were good Christians?

Probably about as many people that think the killers that "need Bibles" were good atheists.

>they just knew how to take the Bible and twist it to make it what they wanted it to be.

And your solution is more Bibles?

Christianity doesn't have the copyright on "don't kill other people." Pretty much every moral, ethical, and legal system on the planet has that rule. Anybody who is considered "a good ___________" doesn't shoot up the mall.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:35 PM   #18
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
True, Jones and Koresh were false prophets by every means. The point that Joe was making is that religion does not cure insanity. In fact, some people use religion to support their madness. His supporting fact for this statement was that there are crazies in church just as there are out. It's a reasonable statement.

Anywho, this guy was cracked. I can't figure out why he had to take several random people with him. What's the purpose? No one ever remembers scum like him for very long, so surely fame wasn't his only motivation. Not unless he was crazy and stupid.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:38 PM   #19
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 257 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Are we sure those people are random? If I was on my out I can think of a few people that I could do the world a favor by taking with me.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:48 PM   #20
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 260 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
Are we sure those people are random? If I was on my out I can think of a few people that I could do the world a favor by taking with me.
True, but what are your chances of seeing your entire hitlist at the mall at the same time? Chances are much more likely the people were random.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:29 PM   #21
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeSpirit View Post
True, Jones and Koresh were false prophets by every means. The point that Joe was making is that religion does not cure insanity. In fact, some people use religion to support their madness. His supporting fact for this statement was that there are crazies in church just as there are out. It's a reasonable statement.

Anywho, this guy was cracked. I can't figure out why he had to take several random people with him. What's the purpose? No one ever remembers scum like him for very long, so surely fame wasn't his only motivation. Not unless he was crazy and stupid.
It's the "fame" part that made this fool take out all the innocents. Even if he's only getting his 15 minutes, that is apparently what he was after. If he'd of just killed himself it would have just been an obituary in his hometown paper.

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:53 PM   #22
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocahontas View Post
It's the "fame" part that made this fool take out all the innocents. Even if he's only getting his 15 minutes, that is apparently what he was after. If he'd of just killed himself it would have just been an obituary in his hometown paper.
So I wonder if the media refused to cover this sort of story, after a few years, would killers no longer have the "fame" incentive to do something like this?

In other words, does the media play any part in this sort of killing by giving wouldbe mass murders "fame" by putting them in the bright centerstage spotlight?
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:27 PM   #23
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

>True, but what are your chances of seeing your entire hitlist at the mall at the same time?

1/7
Old 12-06-2007, 05:45 PM   #24
vixweb
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
>True, but what are your chances of seeing your entire hitlist at the mall at the same time?

1/7

Too bad I wasn't there with my .40 cal - I would have "stopped" him.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:52 PM   #25
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by vixweb View Post

Too bad I wasn't there with my .40 cal - I would have "stopped" him.
AMEN vixweb.. just once I'd like to hear that story, crazed person in a mall or some ****, decided he's gonna let loose.. and someone standing by at the ready, takes him OUT right quick, end of story.

this idiot.. in his note he says "i don't want to be a burden anymore" or something to that effect.. jesus.. then walk out back and take yourself out, leave everyone else alone.. ughh..
It's been a long week.. and I'm venting..

TGIF.
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:55 PM   #26
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Updated News Story

A new story has been added to the "Read More" section of this topic, as follows

FOX NEWS -- Dec 7 2007 9:55 PM
Mall Gunman Suicide Note: 'I Just Snapped'
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:13 PM   #27
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight View Post
AMEN vixweb.. just once I'd like to hear that story, crazed person in a mall or some ****, decided he's gonna let loose.. and someone standing by at the ready, takes him OUT right quick, end of story.

with some folks luck it would turn out someone was shooting a movie or was a teen prank. I've been shot at a bunch of times - only once though real bullets in a real situation*. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference based on sound.

In a situational sense though you'd think shooting - for example at a school or mall - is out of place and assume it was the 'real thing' but could you ever be 100% sure (aside from seeing someone you know go down or real direct evidence). Would I trust someone running by me saying there's a shooting going on? Enough to get out of there - yes. To go shoot someone else? Probably no - just based on that.

*warning shot fired into the air but I didn't know it at the time.
j.nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:23 AM   #28
vixweb
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 219 vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of vixweb has much to be proud of
I think I would have a pretty easy time determining if it was real or not. Certainly, I would be sure before pulling the trigger. In this case, the weapon used was an AK-47(I believe) which is undoubtably real when heard- BIG boom & loud- Any responsable gun owner would'nt even draw their weapon unless confident of the situation. I've only had to pull mine a couple of times,( I have a crazy job) but I can tell you things can go from bad to worse real fast, so you better be fully aware of your surroundings, clear headed, and in control. As soon as that gun comes out, everything changes!
Old 12-20-2007, 10:01 AM   #29
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Updated News Story

A new story has been added to the "Read More" section of this topic, as follows

KSLA -- Dec 20 2007 10:01 AM
Department Store Reopens Following Attack
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:34 AM   #30
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

>with some folks luck it would turn out someone was shooting a movie or was a teen prank.

I read a story the other day about that very thing happening. I think it was in Africa, though.