Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Business

Notices

Old 05-11-2007, 07:46 AM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Louisiana Lost Again

Steelmaker ThyssenKrupp AG said today it will build a $4.19 billion steel plant in the southern U.S. state of Alabama, which has attracted other German companies including DaimlerChrysler AG in recent years.
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Anyone have any exact figures on how much money Bimbo Blanco wasted on trying to bring in an overseas company instead of giving currently existing Louisiana businesses a tax break?

I know she went to Holland to learn how to build dykes, did she go to Germany to learn how to make steel too?
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:05 PM   #3
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
According to what I just heard we will know in a few hours whether Louisiana or Alabama will get the steel mill.
piemaker720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
We Were never going to get this mill. The Germans used us to up the ante on Alabama and get them to offer more incentives than they were willing to. It worked.
purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:10 PM   #5
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpahurl
We Were never going to get this mill. The Germans used us to up the ante on Alabama and get them to offer more incentives than they were willing to. It worked.

I have to agree.

As soon as they "crunched" the numbers on how much it would cost to operate in each state, we were out of the running.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:49 AM   #6
BrainSmashR
Banned

So I heard this morning, via Moon Griffon, that Bimbo Blanco spent between 1.7 and 2 BILLION dollars trying to attract this steel mill that most of us knew would NEVER locate in Louisiana......while a SugarMill in St. James Parish is shutting down and about 150 full time and seasonal help employees are now jobless AND on unemployment. How many are going to be on welfare in 6 months costing our state and the taxpayers even MORE money? What fraction of the nearly 2 BILLION dollars that stupid ***** wasted would have saved those currently existing jobs?

But hey, I hear the newly remodeled Governors Mansion looks splendid....

How much longer will our state have to suffer under these stupid ****ing Democrats?
Old 05-14-2007, 11:55 AM   #7
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
So I heard this morning, via Moon Griffon, that Bimbo Blanco spent between 1.7 and 2 BILLION dollars trying to attract this steel mill that most of us knew would NEVER locate in Louisiana......while a SugarMill in St. James Parish is shutting down and about 150 full time and seasonal help employees are now jobless AND on unemployment. How many are going to be on welfare in 6 months costing our state and the taxpayers even MORE money?

How much longer will our state have to suffer under these stupid ****ing Democrats?
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:44 PM   #8
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
You are either misinformed or misunderstood. We certainly didn't spend $2B to attract them, that was the total amount (over however many years, 20? 30?) that the state was expected to give them in tax breaks and other considerations IF THEY LOCATED HERE. Blanco and the legislature actually spent a few million on the project.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:08 PM   #9
BrainSmashR
Banned

Yeah, but the more likely scenario is that you are just running your dumbass mouth again, not to mention you failed to utilize this little thing called a reference. It's purpose is to support your story....but since it's pure bull****...no source.

Welcome to my ignore list, ****face. I work with criminals all day long, I'm not about to spend my evening socializing with them too.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:38 PM   #10
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Does anyone remember when Shreveport spent $1M to court Boeing when they were thinking of building a plant here. If I recall, Boeing ended up not building the plant at all...
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:38 PM   #11
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
When you posted that earlier the website was down. Now that it's up I don't see any links on it that reference the topic. Granted, i didn't look very hard.

My source is the dozens of news stories about the plant over the last year plus the common sense to know that our governor did not spend two billion dollars to try and attract a business to Louisiana when our total state budget (discounting federal disaster aid) is around $18 billion.

>Welcome to my ignore list, ****face.

What did you tell me the other day, ignorance is bliss?

Does **** stand for s**t or f**k ?
Old 05-15-2007, 06:28 AM   #12
BrainSmashR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
Does anyone remember when Shreveport spent $1M to court Boeing when they were thinking of building a plant here. If I recall, Boeing ended up not building the plant at all...

Well, I'd have to say that a million dollars, even though it's quite steep for 1 city is still within reason to try to attract a company like Boeing.....wasting nearly 2 billion on a failed venture, even if a fraction of that is economic incentives is still going WAAAAAAAAAAAY to far.

I suspect Shreve would have seen a profit within 2 years on a 1 mill investment. How long before over 2 BILLION dollars worth of Louisiana Steel get's sold?!?!?!
Old 05-15-2007, 08:56 AM   #13
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

I think the estimates were about 5 years. It's tough to nail down exact figures because most of the discussions were private.

Also, much, if not most, of the incentives were eliminations of taxes/fees that would otherwise be added by their presence, not expenditures of existing funds. It's all pretty standard economic development stuff. I'm no Blanco fan, but this deal wasn't outrageous.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:22 AM   #14
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Kathy Blanco's road to hell She will have to go down as one of the lamest ducks to ever be Governor of this state. Damage done time to move on and hope to draw a better card next time.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:31 PM   #15
Mokkori

Rep Power: 0 Mokkori will become famous soon enough Mokkori will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Yeah, but the more likely scenario is that you are just running your dumbass mouth again, not to mention you failed to utilize this little thing called a reference. It's purpose is to support your story....but since it's pure bull****...no source.

Welcome to my ignore list, ****face.
Hahahaha, well done.

"YOU HAVE NO PROOF. AND JUST IN CASE YOU DO, I WILL GO AHEAD AND STICK MY FINGERS IN MY EARS SO YOU CAN'T GIVE IT TO ME. LALALALALALALALALALAA!!!"

Quote:
I work with criminals all day long, I'm not about to spend my evening socializing with them too.
Where exactly did you get that he's a criminal? You failed to utilize this little thing called a reference. It's purpose is to support your story.

Or are you just spouting wild claims with no factual basis whatsoever? That's what you ignored someone else for allegedly doing. Better put BrainSmashR on your ignore list too, he seems to be fabricating stuff.
Mokkori is offline   Reply With Quote