Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Man dies after eating contaminated raw oysters

A man died in East Baton Rouge Parish after eating contaminated raw oysters
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:35 AM   #2
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
I thought it was almost taboo to eat raw oysters anymore...guess it will be now more so than ever. I feel badly for the man and his family...just eating something he enjoyed and now he's gone!

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:52 AM   #3
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 257 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
No way. I love oysters and eat them all the time.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:53 AM   #4
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
That is one thing this old girl ain't eatin. I think it is gross when you pick it up and that slime is dripping off, no way is that going in my mouth. Uck!
Old 10-26-2007, 11:05 AM   #5
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
No way. I love oysters and eat them all the time.
I love em too, but out of fear brought on by the media, I only eat them fried or baked. When it comes to eating raw seafood, I like predators over scavengers or filter feeders....

But I'm glad you enjoy them joe. If only 2 people died this year, then that sounds pretty safe if you ask me! Lets face it, more people died in car accidents on the way to oyster bars than by eating oysters in oyster bars.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:49 AM   #6
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
I can eat my weight in oysters. THese guys did'nt use enough lemon juice and horseradish.
purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:53 AM   #7
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 316 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
I will say they taste very good and in my day I have done some damage to the raw oyster. With that said they are a bottom feeding filters that picks up any heavy metals and other toxins. If you do eat them do not bite them in half it might hurt your feelings. Pie with all the crazy stuff you eat you will not eat oysters ???
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:56 AM   #8
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 222 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
I can eat my weight in oysters. THese guys did'nt use enough lemon juice and horseradish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oysters.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1688  

Old 10-26-2007, 07:20 PM   #9
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpahurl View Post
THese guys did'nt use enough lemon juice and horseradish.
Wasabi is a Japense horseradish and I read that it really does have anti microbial properties.. I guess the extreme acidity of lemon juice also is unfriendly to microbes. But I'm still cooking mine.

BTW, where do you get good oysters to serve at home? I haven't bought any in years... I have a craving for oysters bienville or oysters rockafella
Old 10-28-2007, 12:08 AM   #10
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz View Post
Wasabi is a Japense horseradish and I read that it really does have anti microbial properties.. I guess the extreme acidity of lemon juice also is unfriendly to microbes. But I'm still cooking mine.

BTW, where do you get good oysters to serve at home? I haven't bought any in years... I have a craving for oysters bienville or oysters rockafella
Albertsons on Southfield sells buckets of shucked oysters. They are priced pretty good. I have only used them for making bisque or gumbo, but at the right time you can get some big ones, and if you have something to cook them in without the shell you can use them for Rockefeller. I know you need a shell for the last part of this recipe, Bears has the best raw oysters in town and they have tons of shells. Geralds on Jimmy Davis hwy. also can provide shells. Don't fool with Farmers.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:27 PM   #11
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Albertsons on Southfield sells buckets of shucked oysters. They are priced pretty good. I have only used them for making bisque or gumbo, but at the right time you can get some big ones, and if you have something to cook them in without the shell you can use them for Rockefeller. I know you need a shell for the last part of this recipe, Bears has the best raw oysters in town and they have tons of shells. Geralds on Jimmy Davis hwy. also can provide shells. Don't fool with Farmers.
Thanks for the info purpa... Who/were is Bears? yeah Bienville and Rockefeller is baked in half a shell. I can think of a dozen ways to cook oysters in the half shell.

I once had a baked oyster dish in a fancy restaurant who used rock salt as a bed to prop up the bottom of the shells and keep them steady. However they sprinkled grated parmesan cheese on top of the plate and during baking and it stuck to the rock salt so when I stabbed the oyster with my fork and ate it, I got a salt pebble or two which totally ruined the dish. Rock salt and oysters don't go together!
Old 10-29-2007, 09:49 PM   #12
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz View Post
Thanks for the info purpa... Who/were is Bears? yeah
I once had a baked oyster dish in a fancy restaurant who used rock salt as a bed to prop up the bottom of the shells and keep them steady. However they sprinkled grated parmesan cheese on top of the plate and during baking and it stuck to the rock salt so when I stabbed the oyster with my fork and ate it, I got a salt pebble or two which totally ruined the dish. Rock salt and oysters don't go together!
That sounds like Oysters Renauldo at The Village. Bears is in that weird European looking building where Southern and Fairfield run into each other. I haven't been in a while but they had the biggest ones in town.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:16 PM   #13
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 257 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Bears is right here:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...&t=h&z=19&om=0
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:06 AM   #14
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
That sounds like Oysters Renauldo at The Village.
Busted... I really didn't want to mention names...
Old 10-31-2007, 10:21 PM   #15
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
j.nc wife saw the 25 cent/raw oyster special at the bar when in Key West this spring and racked up a about $4 worth.

j.nc spent about the next 24 hours on his own.
j.nc is offline   Reply With Quote