Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Politics

Notices

Old 03-29-2007, 07:43 AM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Should We Continue To Fund Our Troops?

President Bush and his Democratic opponents in Congress are squaring off in a high-decibel, high-stakes game of chicken over a bill to fund military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:19 AM   #2
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Hell yes we should keep funding them

Those bleeding heart liberals would do anything to bring this country down and I know our President will veto that crap. Tell them how it is George !
Isaac
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:31 AM   #3
Bubba McMillian

Rep Power: 0 Bubba McMillian has a spectacular aura about Bubba McMillian has a spectacular aura about Bubba McMillian has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up I'm with you Isaac

We can't win this war if we leave or if we stop funding our troops. If we leave all we are doing is setting the stage for another attack on our own soil - it will happen - we just don't know when.
Maybe this is what we need to stop this Democratic B...S...
The next attack is not going to just kill 3000 people but many many more -

STAND YOUR GROUND MR. PRESIDENT!!!!!!
Bubba McMillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
Rough Rider
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 218 Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about
I am a patriot, and I love my country.
The fact that I believe this 'war' is going nowhere in Iraq.
That I'm tired of the privatizing of this war, watching big business line it's pockets, while troops are dying, while trying to play "police". The fact that I feel the current administration has no clue on the End Game.
Does Not make me a bleeding heart liberal.

It's a stupid question, "Should we fund our troops?" -- NO ****.
The question is do our troops need be over there anymore.

Yes, I am a patriot. No, I'm not a bleeding heart liberal.
No I don't want to have my taxes raised. But riddle me this. How do we plan on paying for this war ? it sure ain't free.

I don't care who the heck it is.. republicans, democrats, independents.. somebody come up with a fracking plan over there besides lets throw more money and more troops at it. I've heard time and again from our Military leaders over there. There is NO MILITARY answer to the problem over there.
Unless of course you want to nuke the place and start over. Which I got no problems with.

But don't call me a bleeding heart liberal, because I think our troops don't need to be hanging around over there, waiting to be shot first!

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
--Sir Winston Churchill
Rough Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Don't hurry off as if nothing had happen RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Rider
I am a patriot, and I love my country.
The fact that I believe this 'war' is going nowhere in Iraq.
That I'm tired of the privatizing of this war, watching big business line it's pockets, while troops are dying, while trying to play "police". The fact that I feel the current administration has no clue on the End Game.
Does Not make me a bleeding heart liberal.

It's a stupid question, "Should we fund our troops?" -- NO ****.
The question is do our troops need be over there anymore.

Yes, I am a patriot. No, I'm not a bleeding heart liberal.
No I don't want to have my taxes raised. But riddle me this. How do we plan on paying for this war ? it sure ain't free.

I don't care who the heck it is.. republicans, democrats, independents.. somebody come up with a fracking plan over there besides lets throw more money and more troops at it. I've heard time and again from our Military leaders over there. There is NO MILITARY answer to the problem over there.
Unless of course you want to nuke the place and start over. Which I got no problems with.

But don't call me a bleeding heart liberal, because I think our troops don't need to be hanging around over there, waiting to be shot first!
Yes that is on your post ! Well cut bait and run will never get it. I support our troops and president big time and we must make a stand for freedom and what is right. You need to quit listening to "retired" military people on talk TV and talk to some of our fine young soldiers and know they are doing the right thing and they see it everyday. I would not use the word patriot to much
Isaac
Old 03-29-2007, 01:45 PM   #6
Bubba McMillian

Rep Power: 0 Bubba McMillian has a spectacular aura about Bubba McMillian has a spectacular aura about Bubba McMillian has a spectacular aura about
"What Is Your Plan?"

This is a different sort of enemy that we have never fought before - Do we cut, run, tuck our tales and hope they don't stike us at home.

When they do strike what is your response and who do you go fight?

What is your plan?
Bubba McMillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:18 PM   #7
Rough Rider
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 218 Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about Rough Rider has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
Yes that is on your post ! Well cut bait and run will never get it. I support our troops and president big time and we must make a stand for freedom and what is right. You need to quit listening to "retired" military people on talk TV and talk to some of our fine young soldiers and know they are doing the right thing and they see it everyday. I would not use the word patriot to much
Isaac
"Cut bait and run" sounds like a good sound byte. Sells well. But it's nothing but crap. I wouldn't say it was time to leave, if anybody who was running this show had a plan. And by the way, if we did leave, what would we be leaving, but a country so caught up in it's own troubles, we just happen to be the only people they hate more than themselves.

A stand for freedom ? Fight for what's right ?? How are our troops standing around, playing cop, waiting to get shot at first 'standing for freedom' ??? not to mention those people could care less about freedom, they just want the power on and the water on.

No, i'm not listening to "retired-talk show hosts" military folks.. These are commmanders ON THE GROUND, saying such things.

I'll use the word Patriot all I want to, thank you very much. I'm tired of having my patriotism being brought into question, because I've got my own head on my shoulders. And I don't agree with all the propaganda that gets thrown my way.

I'm against the continuation of this war for some very obvious reasons. most importantly, there is no plan. But to throw more money and troops at it. That's not a solution. I have to ask why you are so FOR THIS WAR. ? Can you give me something other than a canned sound byte from talk radio ?
"Fight them there so we don't have to fight them there" is the stupidest damn thing I've ever heard. I mean if it were true that would be great. If these "people" we are fighting had a country, that would make sense. Just because we fight them in Iraq doesn't keep them from our soil. These people are very patient. it was back in '93 when they bombed the World Trade Center the first time. Go forward 8 years to 9/11 and they are back again. Fighting them in Iraq, is not going to keep the few who want to sneak into this country from getting in.

IF we're looking for a fight.. let's find BIN LADEN for cryin' out loud.. Let's shut IRAN UP for cryin' out loud.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
--Sir Winston Churchill
Old 03-29-2007, 03:37 PM   #8
BrainSmashR
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to BrainSmashR Send a message via AIM to BrainSmashR Send a message via MSN to BrainSmashR Send a message via Yahoo to BrainSmashR
Quote:
"Cut bait and run" sounds like a good sound byte. Sells well. But it's nothing but crap. I wouldn't say it was time to leave, if anybody who was running this show had a plan. And by the way, if we did leave, what would we be leaving, but a country so caught up in it's own troubles, we just happen to be the only people they hate more than themselves.

A stand for freedom ? Fight for what's right ?? How are our troops standing around, playing cop, waiting to get shot at first 'standing for freedom' ??? not to mention those people could care less about freedom, they just want the power on and the water on.

No, i'm not listening to "retired-talk show hosts" military folks.. These are commmanders ON THE GROUND, saying such things.

I'll use the word Patriot all I want to, thank you very much. I'm tired of having my patriotism being brought into question, because I've got my own head on my shoulders. And I don't agree with all the propaganda that gets thrown my way.

I'm against the continuation of this war for some very obvious reasons. most importantly, there is no plan. But to throw more money and troops at it. That's not a solution. I have to ask why you are so FOR THIS WAR. ? Can you give me something other than a canned sound byte from talk radio ?
"Fight them there so we don't have to fight them there" is the stupidest damn thing I've ever heard. I mean if it were true that would be great. If these "people" we are fighting had a country, that would make sense. Just because we fight them in Iraq doesn't keep them from our soil. These people are very patient. it was back in '93 when they bombed the World Trade Center the first time. Go forward 8 years to 9/11 and they are back again. Fighting them in Iraq, is not going to keep the few who want to sneak into this country from getting in.

IF we're looking for a fight.. let's find BIN LADEN for cryin' out loud.. Let's shut IRAN UP for cryin' out loud.
Ummm, exactly how many attacks on American soil or on American interests outside of the middle east have taken place since we decided to "fight them there instead of over here"?

While that's certainly not a reason to question your patriotism, it's certainly reason enough to question your logic. The last administration did nothing in the face of ever increasing attacks and the end result was a major atrocity perpetrated on our own soil. We start fighting them in their own homeland, and 6 years later, not one significant terrorist attack abroad and none on American interests.

As far as a plan....it's the same plan we've always had. Remove the tyrant, establish a Democracy, defend that Democracy until it can defend itself. You want a time line when that will be completed? No problem, just get a time line from the insurgency detailing when they will stop attacking the newly established Democracy and we can't start shipping troops out the next day.
BrainSmashR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:48 PM   #9
Rough Rider
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
As far as a plan....it's the same plan we've always had. Remove the tyrant, establish a Democracy, defend that Democracy until it can defend itself. You want a time line when that will be completed? No problem, just get a time line from the insurgency detailing when they will stop attacking the newly established Democracy and we can't start shipping troops out the next day.
Remove the tyrant, establish Democracy, blah blah as you say. what does this have to do with attacks on the U.S. ? Iraq was not involved in 9/11.

Go freakin' fight them in Afghanistan, at least there's a chance they might run into Bin Laden.

Fighting for democracy of a country that could care less about democracy ?? We could be over there for 10 damn years, those people will still be blowing themselves up until they either STAND UP, or some dictator STANDS UP. our troops standing around playing cops, is never going to get the job done.

--Sir Winston Churchill
Old 03-29-2007, 03:56 PM   #10
Rough Rider
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainSmashR
We start fighting them in their own homeland, and 6 years later, not one significant terrorist attack abroad and none on American interests.
Ummm their OWN HOMELAND ?? are you kidding ? these people have no homeland.. many of the terrorists involved in 9/11 were from Saudi Arabia !
again they weren't from Iraq.

Look people, I'm not about your so called "Cut bait and run" BS. You want a fight, let's go after them. Lets find Bin Laden. Lets shut IRAN the hell up.
But this crap in Iraq is going to go on and on and on. Long after we leave, that country is still going to be a hell hole.

--Sir Winston Churchill
Old 03-29-2007, 04:05 PM   #11
AnimeSpirit
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 261 AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future AnimeSpirit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to AnimeSpirit
The purpose of the War on Terror was to remove the terrorist elements from the countries with the highest terrorist occupancy which are potential threats to America. I support this effort, but I don't see why it is taking so long in Iraq. In addition, there are other terrorist countries behind Iraq too (i.e. Iran, Libia, North Korea). For all we know, this may go on for a long long time after we're done with Iraq.
AnimeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:15 PM   #12
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

I do agree with Brain

Quote:
Ummm their OWN HOMELAND ?? are you kidding ? these people have no homeland.. many of the terrorists involved in 9/11 were from Saudi Arabia !
again they weren't from Iraq.

Look people, I'm not about your so called "Cut bait and run" BS. You want a fight, let's go after them. Lets find Bin Laden. Lets shut IRAN the hell up.
But this crap in Iraq is going to go on and on and on. Long after we leave, that country is still going to be a hell hole.
If you think that these people Iraq and Iran and Afghanistan are not all part of the same war then you are blind. You think getting one man Binladin is going to fix the problem ? Get your head out of the sand. They started this crap and we will finish it and Iran is going to get their ass kicked and they should they (Persians) have long been a pain in our ass. It is time for the Brits to step up and we need to blow those sob's away. You might think that they will not step up attacks here but you are wrong. Listen to them they want to kill Americans and they make no bones about it. It is time for Bush to get brass horns and really kick some ass over there and talk loudly and carry a very big stick.
God Bless America & President Bush
Isaac
Old 03-29-2007, 04:25 PM   #13
Rough Rider
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-Saxxon
If you think that these people Iraq and Iran and Afghanistan are not all part of the same war then you are blind. You think getting one man Binladin is going to fix the problem ? Get your head out of the sand. They started this crap and we will finish it and Iran is going to get their ass kicked and they should they (Persians) have long been a pain in our ass. It is time for the Brits to step up and we need to blow those sob's away. You might think that they will not step up attacks here but you are wrong. Listen to them they want to kill Americans and they make no bones about it. It is time for Bush to get brass horns and really kick some ass over there and talk loudly and carry a very big stick.
God Bless America & President Bush
Isaac
You are not listening to me. Sitting there, occupying that country, gives us NOTHING. But body bags sent home and a HUGE monthly bill.
As long as our troops are standing around, manning check points and the like, they will keep blowing us up, and ON AND ON AND ON. with NO END.

You got some targets. military targets. Sure lets bomb the crap out of them.
Us occupying Iraq, is not keeping these terrorist who live in Saudi Arabia or anywhere else, from sneaking on a plane and causing trouble here in the U.S.

if you are all so caught up in, and bought into this crap about fight them there so we don't have to fight them here.. I'm done. the propaganda machine has done it's job. The terrorists who got us on 9/11 weren't from Iraq. there are plenty of fights to be fought.. Holding Iraq up on it's feet while we get blown up IS NOT ONE OF THEM. But I guarantee, there's money being made in the process. only not by "US"

--Sir Winston Churchill
Old 03-29-2007, 04:28 PM   #14
Rough Rider
Advanced Member

I don't even understand what we are really arguing about. I mean, I think we want the same things. We want the bastards dead, and I mean all of them.
I simply disagree that we should be spending ALL this TIME, MONEY, LIVES bringing democracy to a country, that doeesn't want it. and never will in our lifetime.

--Sir Winston Churchill
Old 03-29-2007, 04:39 PM   #15
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Well RR we can agree do disagree

Quote:
I don't even understand what we are really arguing about. I mean, I think we want the same things. We want the bastards dead, and I mean all of them.
I simply disagree that we should be spending ALL this TIME, MONEY, LIVES bringing democracy to a country, that doeesn't want it. and never will in our lifetime.
I know you love your country and the fighting men and I respect that. I do not think we are on the same page when it comes to prevailing in the world war of terror. I say we stay the coarse and kick some Arab ass and Iran too and the Brits need to step up to the plate too. Looking like it is time for another major world war to set evil back and free many people who other wise would be nothing more than slaves to dictators. The left has no back bone and rely on softies to get their votes.
Isaac