Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Local News

Notices

Old 11-20-2007, 10:04 AM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Study ranks Shreveport among most dangerous metros

The Shreveport area is ranked in the top ten most dangerous metro areas in the nation and the most dangerous in Louisiana, according to the 14th annual rankings published by C.Q. Press.

sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:18 AM   #2
Marshall F. Graham

Rep Power: 0 Marshall F. Graham will become famous soon enough Marshall F. Graham will become famous soon enough
Unhappy

Yep, Unfortunately.... this is nothing new...At least we're not number 1 like we use to be!! This is due primarily to the shrinking middle class in the area... It's no secret that residents are moving to South Bossier and East to Ellerbe areas to avoid the lower income "transitional" neighborhoods...Within these transitional neighborhoods, there is no incentive to remodel housing...So, kids growing up in these neighborhoods are a product of these depleting neighborhoods and school districts..... AKA they learn to fight with their fists and not with their minds...
Marshall F. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
MattyMattyChooChoo

Rep Power: 0 MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice MattyMattyChooChoo is just really nice
I have a hard time believing Shreveport is more dangerous than New Orleans. How old is this study?
MattyMattyChooChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:16 AM   #4
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
They must have done the survey at Kokopellis!

I find it hard to believe we are worse than New Orleans.
purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:21 PM   #5
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Here I found the actual report:

http://www.cqpress.com/docs/Metro%20...gerous_14E.pdf

From C.Q. Press:
http://www.cqpress.com/media/citycrime2007.html

This is my hometown and this report saddens me. We have a real PR and image problem in this state, on top of our real problems such as too much crime. I guess they go hand in hand with one another.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:42 PM   #6
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
My husband saw this coming years ago! When he talked me into moving from Ellerbe Rd. to South BC I was quite reluctant! It's been a positive experience from schools, to the neighborhood, to low crime etc! I highly recommend it!

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:05 PM   #7
Marshall F. Graham

Rep Power: 0 Marshall F. Graham will become famous soon enough Marshall F. Graham will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

Sounds like a win win situation to me Pocahontis!
Old 11-20-2007, 02:14 PM   #8
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Ellerbe Rd. had a lot of crime?
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:20 PM   #9
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Also note that Bossier City is just as much a part of the "Shreveport metro area" that this article talks about as Spring Lake, Ellerbe Rd., Queensborough, or South Highlands.

In addition, the UCR for 2006 didn't cover every metro area in the US. High-crime cities like Chicago and Boston weren't included because they don't report their stats to the FBI.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:05 PM   #10
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
Ellerbe Rd. had a lot of crime?
I was just saying over all it was a positive move for my family. We lived out that way during the Cedar Grove riots and I never felt comfortable traveling through that part of town. Also a friend of mine's husband was murdered at that trash dumpster sight out Ellerbe Rd. (the one with all the security gates and lighting NOW). I didn't want my children going to school in that part of town either. Just a personal choice and a peace of mind kind of deal for us!

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:14 PM   #11
Marshall F. Graham

Hence... Pre Southern Loop
Old 11-20-2007, 03:37 PM   #12
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
Also note that Bossier City is just as much a part of the "Shreveport metro area" that this article talks about as Spring Lake, Ellerbe Rd., Queensborough, or South Highlands.
No matter where each of us lives, we all live within the same community. Sure we don't all go to the same places and areas of town at the same rate, but we all do get around to some extent and share *some* of the same exposure to possible bad events "on the streets". What scares me most is knowing my kids are growing up and will become mobile soon. I want one of those GPS tattletale thingies...
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:48 PM   #13
Marshall F. Graham

Your concern is equal to all parents in the area...but my generation survived...and the situation was worse in 1994..... bloods, crips, bottoms boys etc...We even rode bikes without helmets! lol I would be more concerned with them riding in the passenger seat with a drunk 17 year old then I would them having to drive down line ave...
Old 11-20-2007, 06:21 PM   #14
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
No crime in the country here !!!!! Except somebody did throw some trash out on the side of the road not long ago and dumped ANOTHER stray dog out this week.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:26 PM   #15
purpahurl
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 223 purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold purpahurl is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle View Post
No crime in the country here !!!!! Except somebody did throw some trash out on the side of the road not long ago and dumped ANOTHER stray dog out this week.
I lived way out in the country during the time Pokie was saying that someone got killed at the trash dump. Guess what? They dumped him just off my driveway, which was in the woods. This spot is not way out any more.
I was watching the news one evening and saw my road on TV live with cops and news etc.. and thought what the hell? I walked down there, here was this geologist that had gone missing being put into a bag. I had gone right by him twice and then the cops found him.

You can't get away from it if the element is present.
purpahurl is offline   Reply With Quote