Go Back   Shreveport.com > SBLive! Groups > Historic Photos

Notices

Old 10-20-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Comments on: Bossier Strip

Reader comments and feedback for the Bossier Strip photo.
This image is part of the Historic Photos photo gallery

Need to look this up in Brock... this was something.<br />
<br />
(edit: Probably the Stork Club)
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:21 PM   #2
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkspaceman View Post
The Stork was in the parking lot area of what is now Family Dollar and Goodwill...it burnt around '84.

What is the address of the building? Looks like it's across from Cross Country apartments??
Another.."oppps" fire on the strip. No argument there. Lost my notes on where the bldg in this pic was on the Strip so will defer but wonder now about what it was.... I think I was going off of one of Brock's "now" comparison photos when making the guess. Can't recall.

Any guesses Monkspacemen?

Thanks for the info.
j.nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:28 AM   #3
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
There's a building off Hwy.80 if you are heading East towards BPCC on the left that resembles this one. I'm thinking it's still some sort of bar or something?? Was Hwy. 80 considered the strip? I've never really known?

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:13 AM   #4
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
Isn't that one of the nudie bars? Maybe the one here?
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:17 AM   #5
Pocahontas
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 271 Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute Pocahontas has a reputation beyond repute
Yea that's the "something" I was referring to, I think it is a strip club...oh I mean an exotic dancer lounge!

Jennifer Aniston
Pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:22 AM   #6
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
The one I linked to was right by E. Texas @ Hamilton.

There is another one out 80 that I can't remember the name of. I bet I haven't been there in 10 years, I remember there was no DJ, the girls played their own songs on the jukebox.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:18 PM   #7
salguodgrubmab
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 0 salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough salguodgrubmab is a jewel in the rough
Amber Inn

It opened in 1946. P.B."Buddy"Lombardino and Carl Maniscalco were the proprietors. Carl was bought out shortly there after. It closed in 1978 and was bought and refurbished. In 1979 it became the China Inn which operated until 1990. It is now Action Central. From 1947 at its onset to the late 70's the 3 mile stretch of 80 was home to 64 cocktail lounges and numerous package stores. One day soon I'll map the Bossier Babylon with names of the lounges and addresses.
salguodgrubmab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:22 PM   #8
Isaac-Saxxon
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 317 Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future Isaac-Saxxon has a brilliant future
Wow now that is a name to remember "Bossier Babylon"
Mat 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Isaac-Saxxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:33 PM   #9
j.nc
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 209 j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all j.nc is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by salguodgrubmab View Post
It opened in 1946. P.B."Buddy"Lombardino and Carl Maniscalco were the proprietors. Carl was bought out shortly there after. It closed in 1978 and was bought and refurbished. In 1979 it became the China Inn which operated until 1990. It is now Action Central. From 1947 at its onset to the late 70's the 3 mile stretch of 80 was home to 64 cocktail lounges and numerous package stores. One day soon I'll map the Bossier Babylon with names of the lounges and addresses.
Sal - thanks for all the pix coming in (your captions keep me constantly amused. Marshmallows). Say - how are you going to map the strip? Memory? Just asking, I was thinking of finding a vinatge reverse phone directory or something for S'port....

Didn't "Action Central" pre-date this location? Like it was down on the S'port waterfront once?

Speaking of "or something" Pocahontas, this place or one like it close by on 80, had a door to the dressing room confusingly similar to the men's room so I walked right in and shut the door to see half a dozen gals looking up with grins. Hilarity ensued. Obviously not the 1st time it happened - they were good fun but beat it out of there before a less jovial bouncer appeared.

Last edited by j.nc; 10-22-2007 at 10:53 PM.
j.nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:27 AM   #10
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Action Central was on Commerce Street until some time in the late 90s/early 2000s. Then that location became "Legzz" (or something similar) and A.C. moved into the building in Bossier. That Bossier location had been another nudie bar before it was A.C., though. We used to go there but I can't remember the name.

I just emailed one of my dirtball friends I used to go there with, he'll remember the names.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:01 AM   #11
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

It was Red River Cabaret. The other one was The Centerfold Lounge.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:13 PM   #12
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole View Post
It was Red River Cabaret. The other one was The Centerfold Lounge.
I've only been to a "men's club" one time and it was the Centerfold about 12 years ago. My "friends" kidnapped me and took me there, LOL. It was embarrassing if you ask me. I'm all for looking at beautiful naked women mind you, but not in front of a bunch of other guys doing the same thing. Just felt weird is all. I guess I could get used to it, but I'd rather hang out at the sushi bar.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote