Go Back   Shreveport.com > Shreveport.com Headline News > Local News

Notices

Old 06-02-2007, 09:44 PM   #1
sbl_admin
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sbl_admin
Post Arkansas Toddler Dies in Dishwasher

An 18 month old Arkansas boy is dead after officers say he climbed into a dishwasher that automatically turns on when the door closes
sbl_admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:38 AM   #2
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
I just don't get how this could have happened. It says the dishwasher turned on automatically when the door closed. I have never had a dishwasher that did that. My heart really goes out to these parents.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
I always try to find the silver lining: At least he'll be clean for the funeral.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
LateNight
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 267 LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future LateNight has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepole
I always try to find the silver lining: At least he'll be clean for the funeral.
Uhh... uhh.. uhhh...
LateNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
piemaker720
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 248 piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold piemaker720 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
For some reason, I would not expect anything different from you.
piemaker720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:31 PM   #6
joepole
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 258 joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of joepole has much to be proud of
I apologize for my optimism.
joepole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:38 PM   #7
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 264 Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute Texasbelle has a reputation beyond repute
Joe, could there just be same sacred things we you don't joke about? There should be and the death of a precious child is one of them.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:08 PM   #8
scarlett
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 233 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
Quote:
i feel for your wife and children mannnnnnnnn
Old 06-03-2007, 06:09 PM   #9
scarlett
Advanced Member

Rep Power: 233 scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of scarlett has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to scarlett Send a message via AIM to scarlett Send a message via Yahoo to scarlett
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbl_admin
An 18 month old Arkansas boy is dead after officers say he climbed into a dishwasher that automatically turns on when the door closes
my dishwasher will come on like this if i "set" it to do this. But not when it closes but say 2 hrs 4 hrs etc
Old 06-03-2007, 08:48 PM   #10
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett
my dishwasher will come on like this if i "set" it to do this. But not when it closes but say 2 hrs 4 hrs etc
I think the "default" setting should be auto-on=off. Then put a warning in the manual to only turn it on only if you do not have young children in the house.
rhertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:06 PM   #11
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

Mine will come on automatically as well if I shut the door, lock the door which involves moving a lever on the outside, and then set the timer for 2 hrs or 4 hrs or whatever time. I don't see how the toddler got the door locked from the inside.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:14 PM   #12
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Rep Power: 293 rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future rhertz has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbelle
I don't see how the toddler got the door locked from the inside.
By pulling on the flap/cover of the detergent dispenser that is built into the door to slam it shut? I dunno, I'm just thinking. Our dishwasher is 15 years old and doesn't have this "auto on" feature. But there is no lever needed to lock the door either. It just slams shut then I can turn it on from the outside. However now that I think about it. Could a child suffocate in a dishwasher even if it didn't come on automatically? Fortunately my kids to to big to fit nowadays, but I could see where a toddler might manage that feat.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:19 PM   #13
Texasbelle
SBLive! Veteran

It makes you extremely curious about how did this happen. I don't have small children either but we do have family member's with very small ones that are over from time to time.

I imagine that tommorrow morning on the major morning shows they will be reporting on this. It will probably be then that we get more insight into how this happened.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:22 PM   #14
scarlett
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhertz
By pulling on the flap/cover of the detergent dispenser that is built into the door to slam it shut? I dunno, I'm just thinking. Our dishwasher is 15 years old and doesn't have this "auto on" feature. But there is no lever needed to lock the door either. It just slams shut then I can turn it on from the outside. However now that I think about it. Could a child suffocate in a dishwasher even if it didn't come on automatically? Fortunately my kids to to big to fit nowadays, but I could see where a toddler might manage that feat.
My dishwasher is 2 months old and it doesn't do this. I may sound mean or horrible for saying this but I don't put anything pass a sibling. Too many crazy things in these days and time and funny how the sibling was the one that found the toddler.

Just a thought...........
Old 06-03-2007, 09:38 PM   #15
rhertz
SBLive! Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett
My dishwasher is 2 months old and it doesn't do this. I may sound mean or horrible for saying this but I don't put anything pass a sibling. Too many crazy things in these days and time and funny how the sibling was the one that found the toddler.

Just a thought...........
yeah we used to do all sorts of crazy stuff as children playing hide and seek. I remember hiding in huge suitcase once in a closet, and then I got out once I thought about someone locking it from the outside. Also I recall losts of public service announcements about storing or disposing old freezers that locked shut unlike todays models using magnetics. Perhaps dishwashers should be designed the same way.