Shreveport

Last Modified: September 13, 2008Shreveport Municipal Auditorium

The Shreveport Municipal Auditorium first opened its doors to the public in 1929. It is a National Historic Site and its lavish architecture is one of the best examples of the Art Deco style in Louisiana. The Auditorium seats more than 3,000 people in its 6,300 sq. ft. arena with a 54 ft. high proscenium arch. Since its inception, the Auditorium has hosted almost every kind of public event including musical concerts, theatrical productions, sporting events, Mardi Gras balls, ice skating shows, conventions, and even the Shriner’s circus. In 1948, the Louisiana Hayride radio show began regular live broadcasts from the stage of the Municipal Auditorium featuring performances by famous country music stars such as Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Tex Ritter, Doug Kershaw, George Jones, Huddie Ledbetter and James Burton.  

“Elvis has left the building”
  

The most famous entertainer who ever sang on the stage of the Shreveport Municipal Auditorium was Elvis Presley who gave his first performance in Shreveport on October 16, 1954. Elvis was paid $18 per show and he gave 84 shows at the Municipal Auditorium until his last show on December 15, 1956. It was then and there that the famous sentence “Elvis has left the building” was coined. A statue of Elvis now stands outside the Municipal Auditorium next to a statue of James Burton, one of Shreveport’s best known recording musicians. The Stage of Stars Museum located at the Municipal Auditorium honors the performers who began their careers on the Auditorium’s stage. Guided tours for the public are provided daily. People can examine more than 1,000 rare photos and see personal clothing worn by the performers as well as the musical instruments that were played by them at Shreveport’s Municipal Auditorium.  

The Shreveport Municipal Auditorium is located at 705 Elvis Presley Avenue in Shreveport. Their contact phone number is (318) 673-5100 at the Shreveport-Bossier City Public Assembly and Recreation Department.