Shreveport.com

Shreveport.com (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/index.php)
-   Health (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Man dies after eating contaminated raw oysters (http://www.shreveport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2884)

sbl_admin 10-26-2007 09:50 AM

Man dies after eating contaminated raw oysters

A man died in East Baton Rouge Parish after eating contaminated raw oysters

Pocahontas 10-26-2007 10:35 AM

I thought it was almost taboo to eat raw oysters anymore...guess it will be now more so than ever. I feel badly for the man and his family...just eating something he enjoyed and now he's gone!:(

joepole 10-26-2007 10:52 AM

No way. I love oysters and eat them all the time.

piemaker720 10-26-2007 10:53 AM

That is one thing this old girl ain't eatin. I think it is gross when you pick it up and that slime is dripping off, no way is that going in my mouth. Uck!:D

rhertz 10-26-2007 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joepole (Post 23497)
No way. I love oysters and eat them all the time.

I love em too, but out of fear brought on by the media, I only eat them fried or baked. When it comes to eating raw seafood, I like predators over scavengers or filter feeders....

But I'm glad you enjoy them joe. If only 2 people died this year, then that sounds pretty safe if you ask me! Lets face it, more people died in car accidents on the way to oyster bars than by eating oysters in oyster bars.

purpahurl 10-26-2007 11:49 AM

I can eat my weight in oysters. THese guys did'nt use enough lemon juice and horseradish.

Isaac-Saxxon 10-26-2007 11:53 AM

I will say they taste very good and in my day I have done some damage to the raw oyster. With that said they are a bottom feeding filters that picks up any heavy metals and other toxins. If you do eat them do not bite them in half it might hurt your feelings. Pie with all the crazy stuff you eat you will not eat oysters ??? :laugh::laugh:

purpahurl 10-26-2007 11:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I can eat my weight in oysters. THese guys did'nt use enough lemon juice and horseradish.

rhertz 10-26-2007 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpahurl (Post 23504)
THese guys did'nt use enough lemon juice and horseradish.

Wasabi is a Japense horseradish and I read that it really does have anti microbial properties.. I guess the extreme acidity of lemon juice also is unfriendly to microbes. But I'm still cooking mine.

BTW, where do you get good oysters to serve at home? I haven't bought any in years... I have a craving for oysters bienville or oysters rockafella

purpahurl 10-28-2007 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz (Post 23515)
Wasabi is a Japense horseradish and I read that it really does have anti microbial properties.. I guess the extreme acidity of lemon juice also is unfriendly to microbes. But I'm still cooking mine.

BTW, where do you get good oysters to serve at home? I haven't bought any in years... I have a craving for oysters bienville or oysters rockafella

Albertsons on Southfield sells buckets of shucked oysters. They are priced pretty good. I have only used them for making bisque or gumbo, but at the right time you can get some big ones, and if you have something to cook them in without the shell you can use them for Rockefeller. I know you need a shell for the last part of this recipe, Bears has the best raw oysters in town and they have tons of shells. Geralds on Jimmy Davis hwy. also can provide shells. Don't fool with Farmers.

rhertz 10-28-2007 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpahurl (Post 23545)
Albertsons on Southfield sells buckets of shucked oysters. They are priced pretty good. I have only used them for making bisque or gumbo, but at the right time you can get some big ones, and if you have something to cook them in without the shell you can use them for Rockefeller. I know you need a shell for the last part of this recipe, Bears has the best raw oysters in town and they have tons of shells. Geralds on Jimmy Davis hwy. also can provide shells. Don't fool with Farmers.

Thanks for the info purpa... Who/were is Bears? yeah Bienville and Rockefeller is baked in half a shell. I can think of a dozen ways to cook oysters in the half shell. :D

I once had a baked oyster dish in a fancy restaurant who used rock salt as a bed to prop up the bottom of the shells and keep them steady. However they sprinkled grated parmesan cheese on top of the plate and during baking and it stuck to the rock salt so when I stabbed the oyster with my fork and ate it, I got a salt pebble or two which totally ruined the dish. Rock salt and oysters don't go together!

purpahurl 10-29-2007 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhertz (Post 23585)
Thanks for the info purpa... Who/were is Bears? yeah
I once had a baked oyster dish in a fancy restaurant who used rock salt as a bed to prop up the bottom of the shells and keep them steady. However they sprinkled grated parmesan cheese on top of the plate and during baking and it stuck to the rock salt so when I stabbed the oyster with my fork and ate it, I got a salt pebble or two which totally ruined the dish. Rock salt and oysters don't go together!

That sounds like Oysters Renauldo at The Village. Bears is in that weird European looking building where Southern and Fairfield run into each other. I haven't been in a while but they had the biggest ones in town.

joepole 10-29-2007 11:16 PM

Bears is right here:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...&t=h&z=19&om=0

rhertz 10-30-2007 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpahurl (Post 23686)
That sounds like Oysters Renauldo at The Village.

Busted... I really didn't want to mention names... :o

j.nc 10-31-2007 10:21 PM

j.nc wife saw the 25 cent/raw oyster special at the bar when in Key West this spring and racked up a about $4 worth.

j.nc spent about the next 24 hours on his own.