Last Modified: September 12, 2008Pioneer Heritage Center
Established in 1977, the purpose of the Pioneer Heritage Center is to illustrate the history of northwest Louisiana from the 1830ís through the end of the 19th century when the region was settled. The Pioneer Heritage Center includes seven historic structures, two of which are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Caspiana House is a raised plantation cottage that was originally built in 1856 on the Hutchinson Caspiana Plantation. The Center also includes the Webb & Webb Commissary, the Riverfront Mission Chapel, the Thrasher House, the Doctorís Office and a blacksmith shop. All these structures were moved to their present location from various places in northwest Louisiana.
The Pioneer Heritage Center is a living museum
The Pioneer Heritage Center is called a living museum because trained guides in historic period costumes conduct tours for the public in order to educate people about the buildings and their associated history. The Center is also utilized by students, teachers and community groups for educational purposes. A special event called Pioneer Days Festival is held once a year during the fall when members of various groups from northwest Louisiana who are interested in history also participate as docents giving demonstrations while dressed in authentic pioneer costumes.
The Pioneer Heritage Center is located on the campus of Louisiana State University Shreveport, and the contact phone number is (318) 797-5339.
©2008-2013 - Shreveport.com - All rights reserved